Creating new Canvas courses (especially new Blueprints) takes time and careful planning. It is usually the joint effort between an OTL design lead and a Faculty member to carefully review the curriculum and make improvements for the next year or term of the program.
- Faculty submits a request for a new course at least 2 weeks prior to term start dates.
- OTL decides which team member will be the design lead, and that individual makes the course according to the specifications in the course request.
- The design lead works with the Faculty member to decide what gets copied over from previous courses, if anything.
- If this is a blueprint course, the design lead associates children courses when the blueprint is completely finished. A blueprint is completely finished when:
- It has been reviewed and signed off by the OTL coordinator using the Canvas Course Evaluation Checklist
- The home page is completely built out.
- Locked objects are in place.
- The Faculty member has been instructed in syncing the blueprint to child courses.
Note: There should be limited faculty with ability to edit blueprints in order to maintain course quality and standardization. We recommend no more than 2 instructors have access to the blueprint for editing and that all edits are done by the Program Coordinator.